Update: March 17, 2020 from Executive Director Father Columba Stewart, OSB
As of today, HMML is closed to the public and most staff are working remotely. We want to assure you that:
- HMML is still operating in Minnesota and, wherever possible, in the field.
- We are in constant contact with our field sites throughout the world. Our colleagues in Iraq, Italy, Lebanon, and Malta are the most severely affected at this time; Mali (our largest project) is the least affected. As we know from our own experience in the United States, however, the situation can change quickly. We continue to monitor our projects in Croatia, Egypt, Gaza, India, Libya, Nepal, and Pakistan.
- We are in touch with those who have scheduled research visits to HMML, including recipients of our Heckman Stipends and Carpenter and Swenson Fellowships, to help them reschedule their visits.
- We are assessing HMML summer programs and will make decisions about their status as we have a clearer understanding of what the coming weeks will bring.
All of us at HMML are aware of the challenges faced by our colleagues, family, and friends throughout the world. We hope that everyone remains in good health, but know that even in good health, many will be severely affected by the economic downturn. We will do our best to help our partners sustain their work.
We will be posting updates on a dedicated COVID-19 webpage: http://hmml.org/covid-19/. Meanwhile, keep our far-flung HMML team in your thoughts and prayers.
Update: March 16, 2020
Beginning Tuesday, March 17, HMML and HMML’s Malta Study Center will be closed to the public for research and visits to our exhibitions (including The Saint John’s Bible Gallery) until at least the end of March.
We are assessing the situation on a daily basis and will reopen as soon as conditions permit. Curators will be available by email to respond to questions about the collections and the availability of our digital resources at vhmml.org will not be affected.
Update: March 13, 2020
Greetings from the Hill Museum & Manuscript Library (HMML).
We have been following developments both here in Minnesota and globally regarding COVID-19.
As of today, our home campus – Saint John’s University (SJU) in Minnesota – is transitioning temporarily to online teaching and most public HMML events scheduled for March and April have been cancelled or postponed. We hope to reschedule some HMML events or offer alternative programming online. Stay tuned for details.
Currently, The Saint John’s Bible Gallery remains open. The other galleries at HMML will remain open as long as Alcuin Library at SJU remains open. Researchers may continue to visit HMML and use the collections.
As always, you can continue to:
- Access our digital manuscript and art collections online at vHMML.org
- Consult our digital learning platform for students, teachers, and scholars. Visit vHMML School or vHMML DH for tutorials and resources.
Our greatest concern is the safety of our staff, visiting scholars, public, and colleagues at our global field sites. With this in mind, we will continue to be responsive to the local and international situations as they develop.