Scholars visiting HMML may view both microfilm and digital images without charge. The following services are available to visiting scholars:
- Scholar Studies. Upon request scholars may reserve a private study (subject to availability).
- Microfilm Readers. Microfilm readers for the 35mm films.
- Digital images access. In addition to viewing digitized manuscripts in vHMML Reading Room, scholars are provided dedicated PCs to view images not yet available online.
- Reference resources. Scholars may access HMML’s reference collection as well as the adjacent Alcuin Library collection and electronic resources.
- Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is available at HMML and across the Saint John’s campus. Guest access requires a simple registration process.
HMML can provide limited services to help locate manuscripts in the collections. When making an inquiry, please identify manuscripts by country, city, owning library, and shelfmark. If you are using vHMML or our Legacy Catalog and have an inquiry about a manuscript found there, please include the HMML project number. All inquiries or orders may be emailed to [email protected].
Online Access to Uncataloged Manuscript Images
HMML can provide scholars with access to a limited number of uncataloged manuscripts for online viewing in vHMML Reading Room. Researchers requesting manuscripts will be sent the URL for the requested manuscripts.
Manuscript Orders and Permissions to Publish
Scholars who desire digital copies of microfilms or digitized manuscripts should complete the order form below. Digital copies of manuscripts will be delivered via a download link.
Scholars who desire to permission to publish an image must complete the permissions form below.
For both digital copies and permission to publish, authorization from the owning institution may be required. Scholars who wish to publish images from any collection may also need additional permission from the owning institution. You will be notified of these conditions before your order is processed; fees may apply.
Prices for Goods and Services
You will receive an invoice, which may be payable by credit card, personal check (drawn on a U.S. bank), or international money order.
Digital copies of complete manuscripts
(scanned microfilm or born-digital holdings)
$85.00 per manuscript
Note: scholars from the Middle East, Africa, and South Asia qualify for a modified fee schedule; please inquire for details.
Photocopies and black and white laser printing at HMML
Black and white photocopies made by visiting researchers are priced at $0.40 per page. Printouts made on HMML’s networked laser printers are $0.40 per page. Minimum service fee per order: $5.00.