Metadata For 25 Manuscripts From Wilten Abbey Near Innsbruck Are Now Available In vHMML Reading Room
Wilten is located on the ancient Roman site Veldidena (hence its name) at the foot of Berg Isel--now within the city limits of Innsbruck but in medieval times outside. Legend ascribes to the giant Haymo the foundation of a Benedictine house here around 870. Sometime before 1138 Bishop Reginbert of Bressanone/Brixen summoned Premonstratensian canons from the Swabian house of Roth to continue where a former collegiate church had been. The new establishment became an abbey in 1250 and was a double monastery till the end of the thirteenth century. Its heyday was perhaps the mid-fifteenth century when Nicolaus of Cusa dreamed of turning it into the center of a new network of reforms. Wilten thrived in the eighteenth century but was suppressed under Bavarian rule 1807-1816 and again under Hitler 1939-1945. Part of the library was carried off by the Bavarians and is now in the Universitätsbibliothek Innsbruck. The present holdings are mainly sermon books of the fifteenth century, many evidently gathered in from parish libraries such as that of Hall in Tirol.