Schottenstift. Bibliothek - HMML Repository

Schottenstift. Bibliothek

The Schottenstift, in the heart of Vienna, was founded in 1155 by Irish and Scottish monks to assist Irish pilgrims traveling to and from the Holy Land. The Irish withdrew in 1418, taking most of their characteristic manuscripts with them. Benedictines from Melk took over the monastery in the 15th c., and its present collection of 750 codices, 466 of which were filmed for HMML, contains manuscripts from the 12th to the 18th c., but chiefly from the 14th and 15th c.


  • Collection

  • Country

    Austria
  • City

    Vienna
  • Repository

    Schottenstift. Bibliothek
  • Project Codes

    Main Series
  • Project Numbers

    3850-4305; 4315; 9046-9047; 9049
  • Type

    Microform
  • Microfilm Reels

    456
  • Date Preserved

    1966
  • Languages

    Latin; German; French
  • Reproduction Notes

    Some pages or decoration filmed also in color
  • Bibliography

    Albert Hübl, Catalogus codicum manu scriptorum qui in Bibliotheca Monasterii B.M.V. ad Scotos Vindobonae servantur (1899).
  • Reading Room Collections

  • Uncataloged Collections