Stift Wilten - HMML Repository

Stift Wilten

Wilten is located on the ancient Roman site Veldidena (hence its name) at the foot of Berg Isel, now within the city limits of Innsbruck but medieval times outside. Sometime before 1138, the Bishop of Bressanone (Brixen) summoned Premonstratensian canons from Swabia to continue where a collegiate church had been. The abbey flourished in the 15th c., but was closed in 1807-1816 and again in 1939-1945. Much of the library's original collection is now in the Universitäts- und Landesbibliothek Tirol (Innsbruck). The remaining manuscripts at Wilten include many sermon collections and theological treatises from the 14th-15th c., mostly gathered from local parish libraries.


  • Collection

  • Country

    Austria
  • City

    Innsbruck
  • Repository

    Stift Wilten
  • Project Codes

    Main Series
  • Project Numbers

    28759-28783
  • Type

    Microform
  • Microfilm Reels

    25
  • Date Preserved

    1972-1973
  • HMML Reading Room (first record)

  • Languages

    Greek; Latin; German; Hebrew
  • Bibliography

    Donald Yates, Descriptive Inventories of Manuscripts Microfilmed for the Hill Monastic Manuscript Library, Austrian Libraries, vol. 1 (1981).
  • Reading Room Collections

  • Uncataloged Collections