Benediktinerabtei Sankt Georgenberg-Fiecht - HMML Repository

Benediktinerabtei Sankt Georgenberg-Fiecht

Founded in 1138 (closed in 1807-1816 and again in 1941-1945), this Benedictine monastery has recently moved back to its original site at Sankt Georgenberg near Fiecht. After a devastating fire in 1705 the community moved to Fiecht where it remained from 1708 to 2019. Although the monastery at one time owned manuscripts dating back to the 8th c., today's oldest holdings come from the 12th c. Numerous manuscripts from Sankt Georgenberg are in the British Library today. The nearly 200 manuscripts filmed include historical records of the monastery and other manuscripts from the 12th to 18th c.


  • Collection

  • Country

    Austria
  • City

    Fiecht
  • Repository

    Benediktinerabtei Sankt Georgenberg-Fiecht
  • Project Codes

    Main Series
  • Project Numbers

    28784-28939
  • Type

    Microform
  • Digital Surrogates

  • Microfilm Reels

    156
  • Date Preserved

    1973
  • Languages

    Latin; German
  • Reproduction Notes

    Some pages or decoration filmed also in color
  • Bibliography

    Peter Jeffery and Donald Yates, Descriptive Inventories of Manuscripts Microfilmed for the Hill Monastic Manuscript Library, Austrian Libraries, vol. 2: St. Georgenberg-Fiecht (1985).
  • Reading Room Collections

  • Uncataloged Collections